In 1983 ‘ METAXA’ was Born in Stuttgart and raised in Greece. His first Music experience was at the age of 10 in Corfu when he played the piano for 6 years. 2 years later, after moving to Athens for studies in 1998 , there he had his first techno Introduction at U-Matic club, which was very interesting for his ear this time. At that first night experience with techno he remembered Kraftwerk vinyl’s of he’s uncles collection in a swabish area out of Stuttgart when he was 15 – from now on he understands that this is a revolution of these sounds. Metaxa starting experimenting with drum machines and digital software. At that time sound was all about Jeff Mills and “the Detroit sound” in clubs. After 4 years in Athens he moved to London for 3 years where he met a girl.. So he moved to Romania where he met George G (member of Premiesku).
Since then he released on labels like Yoruba, Höhenregler and Wassabi.
Tzinah Records: To start with, please, recommend us something to listen to while we go through this interview. It can be anything.
Metaxa Aka: Something to listen ! RA Podcast 129 – Lee Burridge. I always found my self getting together with this sound. My sound of all-times.
Tzinah Records: Could you remember when and where have you felt it for the first time that you were to become a music artist?
Metaxa Aka: When I moved from London to Bucharest in 2008, after I met a gorgeous woman that putted me in contact with this world. She was a blond Romanian party animal. During my time in London, 2004–2008, I was only collecting vinyls and I was Djing with friends at after-parties. The new sound that was coming out from Romania was influencing me. So after I did piano for 8 years and had a rock band on my seventeens, and after years of clubbing and being a DJ myself, I decided to learn Cubase Program alone in 2006 and I did my first vinyl release at Sonido Records from Frankfurt in 2009. Thats how I started my idea of being a House and Techno artist.
Tzinah Records: Why did you choose to create and play this particular type of music? Are there any artists that touched you deeply while developing your own style?
Metaxa Aka: I think the best influence that someone could have are not only top DJs but people that are in the industry but they are not so big. I was there in the start of RpR, thats how it was written then, and not ARPIAR that is today! Three guys, Raresh is my favorite on the Decks, too many influences can confuse you.
Tzinah Records: Please, briefly, describe for us, the current state of the underground music scene in the place you come from. Is it any good?
Metaxa Aka: The only good sound you can listen in Corfu are the events I organize on special occasions only. In general the island is not so underground. So when I am in Corfu I prefer to spend my time in the studio, producing. The island gives me that feeling.
Tzinah Records: Without giving out too much about your secret weapons, please tell us how does the magic work in your production routine. Software? Analog? What does your DJ set-up imply?
Metaxa Aka: I had the pleasure to meet and live in the same house with George Gavanescu from Premiesku. He is the one that helped me, with love and patience, to learn what Ableton and analog combined machines mean for music making.
Tzinah Records: Which underground house DJ or producer would you love to take out for a summer picnic? With which artist (from any music genre) would you spend 24 hours stuck in an elevator?
Metaxa Aka: Picnic? Ok i have had a chill-out, out of a toilet area, on backstage with Ricardo Villalobos for about 4 hours in Timewarp 2009 after he finished his set. So if I could have so much fun and interest for a person out of a toilet area imagine on a picnic! In an elevator, I would spend it with Raresh, to keep the positive energy that he has, just for myself :).
Tzinah Records: Have you already played in your most-dreamed about venue? Which one is that?
Metaxa Aka: My most dreamed place is to play at Sunwaves.
Tzinah Records: What’s your favourite type of breakfast?
Metaxa Aka: I am not a breakfast person, I like only a fresh orange juice from orange trees and no coffee.
Tzinah Records: What do you do when the music is not playing?
On my free time I go jogging in the mornings, or cook in evenings. I despise TV. And mostly, music is on daily, 365 days per year.
Tzinah Records: What’s the story behind your Tzinah Family Podcast? How did you record it and are there released or unreleased tracks?
Metaxa Aka: Since 2012 when I met Primarie and Tzinah Records I remember I asked him right away then for a podcast. But good things need the right time to grow. So this podcast was a challenge for me, with unreleased and new tracks that will be in the album I prepare for Tzinah this period.
Tzinah Records: Are there any of your plans/upcoming projects that you would like to share with us? Where can we see you play next?
Metaxa Aka: I have scheduled a gig on 30 April at Gladis Ita.
Tzinah Records: Supposing you come back reading this interview in 10 years from now; could you try saying something to your future-self? I would say to my self Metaxa Aka: In 10 years from now to be more patient and evolve as much as you can everyday and learn. Always smile back to people that don’t love you, and start to worry when they stop talking about you.
TZINAH FAMILY & TZINAH RECORDS RECENT UPDATES:
- Sebastian Paiza // Interview // Tzinah Podcast // January 2019 //
- TZH110 // VA – Tzinah Under-Grande Xmas Edition
- Tito Mazzetta // Interview // Tzinah Podcast // December 2018
- TZH109 // Mera – Steady Poison EP incl. Dragutesku
- Enivrèz Vous // Interview // Tzinah Podcast // November 2018 //
- TZH108 // Octave – Toomanie EP incl. Gabi.B, Libe
- TZH107 // Pierre C – Drones EP incl. Crescent
- Osvit // Interview // Tzinah Podcast // October 2018 //
- TZH106 // Exander – Time and Place EP incl. Deaf Pillow
- OCT 27: TzinahShowcase with Love from: Alex Rusu, Primarie, M-Phunk
- TZH105 // VA – Tzinah Diving Deep Session Two
- Primarie // Tzinah Podcast // September 2018
- TZH104 // Zgaav – Vast Horizons EP incl. Primarie
- Alex Simori // Interview // Tzinah Podcast // August 2018 //
- AUG 24: A Little Techno meets Tzinah Showcase
- TZH103 // Petit Batou – Fantastic Tales EP incl. Crescent
- Manuel De Lorenzi // Interview // Tzinah Podcast // July 2018 //
- Steve // Inteview // Tzinah Podcast // June 2018 //
- TZH102 // Vern – Precious Time EP incl. Sacke
- Ghosthorse // Interview // Tzinah Podcast // June 2018 //
- TZH101 // VA – Collectzinah Session Two
- BRYZ // Interview // Tzinah Podcast // May 2018 //
- JUN 16: #TzinahShowcase with Love from ***Privid, Dragutesku, Deez
- TZH100 // VA – Tzinah Family
- TZH099 // Primarie – Steaua de Mare EP incl. Herck
- TZH098 // Crescent – Peransamblu EP incl. Petar Milicevic
- Cossmos // Interview // Tzinah Podcast // April 2018 //
- Tzinah Records Merch at DizzyJam
- TZH097 // Sacke – Lirica In Cod Binar EP
- 16 MAR: T N A pres. Tzinah Showcase w. Love from Funk E & Primarie