Matias Zurita aka Cossmos. Buenos Aires (Argentina). Pianist, DJ, Producer actually studying jazz and classical music. His interests in music began at his seventeen years old after a journey to the south of his country. Two years later, he started his carreer as a producer, inspired by jazz, minimal electronic and micro house music. Realeses up today: (Vinyl) Nektar Agu ft. Cossmos – Saint Seiya EP Incl. Pheek remix (The Untold Stories) – Arupa VA Two Years – Perception Dub VA Compilation 6 – Simple Things Records EP Enti.
Cossmos on Facebook
Tzinah Records: To start with, please, recommend us something to listen to while we go through this interview. It can be anything.
Cossmos: Something that have inspired me a lot: Chick Corea Trio – Spain (Trilogy)
Tzinah Records: Could you remember when and where have you felt it for the first time that you were to become a music artist?
Cossmos: The truth is that’s something I hadn’t considered until not long ago. It all began like a teenager curiosity. I remember the first time the music really made me feel happy and in company, like i’ve already heard it before, it was Jazz music. Ray Charles sound in the back in some place i was getting bored, and it was after that day my mind changed, at the south of Argentina, San Martin De Los Andes(Neuquen).
Tzinah Records: Why did you choose to create and play this particular type of music? Are there any artists that touched you deeply while developing your own style?
Cossmos: I like to play and produce all type of music. I have heard latin, folclor, tango and jazz music since kid. Being influenced by all my nearby friends, I started to listen to artists like Ricardo Villalobos, Petre Inspirescu, Laurine Frost, Cesare Vs Disorder, Crack n 7 was a very special track. There was where I managed to join all my influences from when I was a child. I understood how traditional music and acoustic instruments can all be in a dance-floor track.
Tzinah Records: Please, briefly, describe for us, the current state of the underground music scene in the place you come from. Is it any good?
Cossmos: The Argentinian scene it’s really getting interesting, many young producers are really focus, wanting to learn and growing up together, definitely that’s the best of the underground scene.
Tzinah Records: Without giving out too much about your secret weapons, please tell us how does the magic work in your production routine. Software? Analog? What does your DJ set-up imply?
Cossmos: The software I use to produce is Ableton Live, with midi controllers, pianos, rhythm boxes and synthesizers. And despite that little by little I’m adopting a way of working, I don’t have an only way of doing things. Normally my ideas come from maybe a sound I’ve heard in the street, someone who said something, an instrument, some feeling, a thought, constantly I hear a lot of music, i study it, its roots. I try to get into the different music cultures of all the world, I think there is the magic, in the constant exploration.
Tzinah Records: What are the aspects of your daily life that are influencing the shape and sound of the music that you currently make?
Cossmos: I think despite my music is actual, not only talks about my present. It’s from that who I was, all the things I have lived. We all have an inside speech, that’s the aspect that most influence me. I also have a very active music life, actually I study classical, jazz and folclor music.
Tzinah Records: Which underground house DJ or producer would you love to take out for a summer picnic? With which artist (from any music genre) would you spend 24 hours stuck in an elevator?
Cossmos: Without any doubt the most interesting musician for me is Paco de Lucia. I think 24 hours wouldn’t be enough to talk of all the things I would ask him. haha
Tzinah Records: Have you already played in your most-dreamed about venue? Which one is that?
Cossmos: I have recently been released as a DJ. The place I love in Buenos Aires is Cocoliche, my favourite club.
Tzinah Records: What motivates you to be an active part of the underground movement?
Cossmos: It was all something very spontaneous, I heard electronic music when I was young, always have been very active and with the time I started to know producers from all places, nationals and internationals, started to see how all transform in Argentina the electronic scene.
Tzinah Records: What do you do when the music is not playing?
Cossmos: just stay in silence, go out with friends, something different, whatever that makes me distract. (I do not spent a lot of time in silence haha)
Tzinah Records: What’s the story behind your Tzinah Family Podcast? How did you record it and are there released or unreleased tracks?
Cossmos: I put music of artists that I admire a lot. There is also something new from me, a little of everything.
Tzinah Records: Are there any of your plans/upcoming projects that you would like to share with us? Where can we see you play next?
Cossmos: My future projects are to keep studying, most of all classical music, producing a lot, and find my own way to fuse classical music and electronic music.
Tzinah Records: Supposing you come back reading this interview in 10 years from now; could you try saying something to your future-self?
Cossmos: I would say never forget where my music comes from, that my own Folclor is what connects me to my land
TZINAH RECORDS RECENT UPDATES:
- TZH183 // Avidel – Rise Together EP incl. Primarie
- Primarie // Tzinah Podcast // March 2023 //
- TZH182 // Felix & Papilla – Semi-Automatic EP incl. Constratti
- TZH181 // Flavius – Mixed Signals EP incl. Olivian Nour
- TZHA011 // Boncalo Denis – Mind Heal LP
- TZH180 // Javier Labarca – For Those Who Seek EP incl. Etzu Mahkayah
- JAN 7: Music Is Art & Tzinah Records – Primarie , Little Hado
- TZH179 // Rush Arp – I Carry Your Heart With Me EP incl. Vern
- DEC 24: Primarie, Octave, Lucide & more @ Nether
- TZH178 // VA – Family from Friends Session Three
- TZH177 // VA – Romanian Flow Session One
- DEC 3: Tzinah Showcase at minimüzikhol
- NOV 25: Tzinah X Resonance Showcase at punkt.zero
- TZH176 // Origins Of Time – Morning in Love EP incl. Nima Gorji
- TZH175 // VA – Tzinah Bright Magicians Session One
- TZH174 // Baban – The Other Side of Jack EP incl. BRYZ
- TZHA010 // Lipp – Deep Fire LP
- TZH173 // Sakdat & Balaur – Dupa EP incl. Minube
- TZH172 // Efik – Purify Your Soul EP incl. Vincent Casanova
- TZH171 // Cata – Living in the Multivers EP incl. Primarie
- Jemmi // Interview // Tzinah Podcast // August 2022 //
- TZH170 // VA – Tzinah Lightworkers Session One
- TZH169 // Jemmi – Tarkovsky’s Train EP incl. Costin Rp
- Origins Of Time // Interview // Tzinah Podcast // July 2022 //
- JULY 31: Primarie, Lucide in the Garden
- TZH168 // Electricano – Andrei se Bucura EP incl. Avidel
- TZH167 // Andrei Voica – Resemnat EP incl. Lumieux
- Skender // Interview // Tzinah Podcast // July 2022 //
- TZH166 // Csurt – Supernova EP incl. Silat Beksi
- TZH165 // VA – Family from Friends Session Two