Born in the south of Romania in 1981,Mantulescu Ionut aka Mr.John started listening to electronic music when he was quite young.His excentric style and strong personality helped him a lot to exceed the limits of usually djs, mixing a lot of old funk grooves with drops of detroit techno.Due to his passion for house music he decided to start mixing 2000 being the year when he played in a small club.Later on in 2002 he became resident in Old Nick Pub, the local best club . The story doesn’t end here, after wards he started sharing his music and plays in places like:Studio Martin.Club Violette,Club Zoom,Silver,Traian 42,Barocco..
2008 became an important year for Mr.John as producer and in 2009 he signed with labels like:Quanticman Rec,Italo Business,Tapas Rec & Sonora Rec. Mr.John makes a big step and plays some sets at different radiostations some of them being :Justmusic.fm,Pure.fm,One fm,Ibiza Global Radio and Frisky Radio.
He is now hosting his own show on Radio Ph(Prahova) and can also be found at Old Nick Pub.
1. So how did all begin for you?
1.Mr. John: hmm,was easy i talked with a good dj from a town near mine (sinaia),to teach me all about djing and after 1 month i became resident.that was a start to journey
2. Where did your name came from?
2.Mr. John: friends from my workplace called me john…mr.john.
3. What brought you more close to the house music?
3.Mr. John: not only to house music,music in generaly..i played all kind of styles and 2004 was year when i stoped in house music.
4. Did the djing or production came first for you? Tell us about your roots.
4.Mr. John: before i enter in this world,i had some jobs but i was too young in that time to think about my life and what can i do with it. So i decided to change my life style and i’m not sorry for this. I can say now that i’m happy and hope to remain like that.
5. What was the first important event that you played at? How did it feel?
5.Mr. John: Not really have much events till now,but i’m glad that i played in one of the best clubs from Romania (Studio Martin)…i like to say that i stayed more invisible…
6. Which other contries have you played ?
6. Mr. John: .never played in others country,only here.maybe havent luck or not prepared..
7. What do you think about the music scene in your contry? What is your opinion about european underground music scene , new tallents, old producers, what do you think about romanian artists?
7. Mr. John: i talked with a lot of people from other countrys and they say only good words about romanian dj’s/producers…music scene and romania in generaly.dosent matter if is underground or comercial music.
8. If you could pick one place you would like to play where would it be and why?
8.Mr. John: for me dosent matter if is a big club/place or private..i like to make people to feel go and this is enough for me. So what if play at live at johnson or pacha or….what if people not react of your music? This is my oppinion.
9. Do you see yourself being a dj all your life?
9.Mr. John: all my life,dj?! hmm,after 40’s or 50’s u are still in mood for music or playing,i guess not…but who knows and music is my life,if i can say that.hehe
10. Out of all tunes you have made , which one you think ‘never fails’?
10.Mr. John: I think after all my tunes till now,’A la grec’ and ‘It’s time to deep’ “never fails”,this 2 tracks i can listen always but never bored of them.
11. Which artists inspires you the most ?
11.Mr. John: They are to many but for the moment i can say some who change my vision of what house music means and dosent matter if they are rock,pop,blues,jazz artists…kraftwerk,elvis presley,frank sinatra,jim morrison,john digweed,luciano..and the list continue
12. Are you focusing more on djing or on production right now?
12.Mr. John: I try not to focus both…but now ..more djing
13. When you’re not working, when the party is over, how do you like to chill
13.Mr. John: i like movies,i think if i wasnt dj/producer..for sure became an actor.hehe
14. What projects are you working on at the moment?
14.Mr. John: For the moment,nothing projects,i want to take a brea,but who knows ..i’ll never make plans.
15. Describe your relationship with our label from your point of view.
15.Mr. John: Is a honor to make part of this label and for me is like a family,family music.good work and keep up