Christian has been a part of the Peruvian house scene since its beginnings. His career began in 2001. He quickly managed to create his own unique personal style, which gave him the opportunity to perform alongside the most renowned world Djs, learning and acquiring experience through them. For the last 12 years he has been present in the most important events, festivals and clubs both locally as well as within South America. This has turned him into one of the most experienced and well known Djs in the scene. His musical proposal manages to convey an almost plastic atmosphere with a lot of groove and solid basslines.
Christian is known for playing very mental tech-house and minimal influenced by the surroundings in which he lives. With each EP he tries to create something innovative for the dance floor which favors him quite well within the underground South American scene. His talent and vitality turn him in an excellent Dj known for the fine and fluid structure of his sets which create moods capable of captivating different kind of crowds.
As half of the duo Deaf Pillow they have been releasing music in labels such as Crosstown Rebels, Get Physical, Better On Foot among others and of course on their own imprint Audionumb Music.
Christian Berger on Facebook
Tzinah Records: To start with, please, recommend us something to listen to while we go through this interview. It can be anything.
Christian Berger: Plan V – Tripulante 2.3
Tzinah Records: Could you remember when and where have you felt it for the first time that you were to become a music artist?
Christian Berger: When I first wrote a few songs for my first band, I was 18 years old.
Tzinah Records: Why did you choose to create and play this particular type of music? Are there any artists that touched you deeply while developing your own style?
Christian Berger: I choose to create music on the computer because you can record pretty much anything and make something great out of it. Yes of course from Radiohead to Boards of Canada, Sasha, Tyrant (Lee n Craig) , Villalobos and many more.
Tzinah Records: Please, briefly, describe for us, the current state of the underground music scene in the place you come from. Is it any good?
Christian Berger: I’m from Lima, Peru, the underground scene here is very interesting, lots of small parties and some really big ones. There is a market for each genre, pretty much every weekend something is happening and thanks to festivals like Creamfields Peru that attracts new crowds each year, we have more and more people looking for what they like in music/parties. What we really need is a club dedicated to only house/techno music.
Tzinah Records: Without giving out too much about your secret weapons, please tell us how does the magic work in your production routine. Software? Analog? What does your DJ set-up imply?
Christian Berger: Well it’s a combination of things hehe in the Studio Ableton Live a few synths (Moog, Dave Smith, Korg), Guitars, Bass, TC Helicon for vocals, many many guitar FX pedals and for midi (Push, APC40, Arturia) etc, etc. DJ Set very classic 2 Turntables, 2 CDJs and Xone 92 Allen & Heath.
Tzinah Records: What are the aspects of your daily life that are influencing the shape and sound of the music that you currently make?
Christian Berger: I get influenced by many things everyday such as background street ambience, nature, amazing pictures/images, something I am reading ,watching TV, listening to people talk and interact, trying to re-create that feeling when you see or hear something very cool or very sad or whatever you felt at the moment, thru music and sound. And of course lots of music.
Tzinah Records: Which underground house DJ or producer would you love to take out for a summer picnic? With which artist (from any music genre) would you spend 24 hours stuck in an elevator?
Christian Berger: I would take my bandmate from Deaf Pillow Rodrigo Lozano, About the elevator situation I am claustrophobic I can’t spend more then 20 minutes stuck there haha.
Tzinah Records: Have you already played in your most-dreamed about venue? Which one is that?
Christian Berger: That would be Creamfields Peru and Buenos Aires.
Tzinah Records: What motivates you to be an active part of the underground movement?
Christian Berger: I really love the underground scene in my country, I am here from the very beginning and I would like to see how far we can go.
Tzinah Records: What’s your favorite type of breakfast?
Christian Berger: Jugo de Papaya every single day.
Tzinah Records: What do you do when the music is not playing?
Christian Berger: Most likely… checking why the hell is not playing.
Tzinah Records: What’s the story behind your Tzinah Family Podcast? How did you record it and are there released or unreleased tracks?
Christian Berger: Well I recorded at the studio with classic set up, there are tracks from Silat Beksi, Primarie, Unknown Artist withe label and more great artists and friends but no unreleased tracks on this one.
Tzinah Records: Are there any of your plans/upcoming projects that you would like to share with us? Where can we see you play next?
Christian Berger: We as Deaf Pillow will be playing in Ibiza with tINI & The Gang in September and after that Berlin, Barcelona and a few more TBC yet.
Tzinah Records: Supposing you come back reading this interview in 10 years from now; could you try saying something to your future-self?
Christian Berger: Yes many things not very sharable I guess haha.
TZINAH RECORDS RECENT UPDATES:
- TZH092 // Chrivu – Sonant Shiver EP incl. BRYZ
- Crescent // Interview // Tzinah Podcast // November 2017 //
- TZH091 // Petrutt – Evacuate Soul EP incl. Primarie
- Vincent Casanova // Interview // Tzinah Podcast // November 2017 //
- Senoo // Interview // Tzinah Podcast // November 2017 //
- TZHBK004 // VA – Tzinah on Black 004
- Nov 11: Primarie /Vlf /Herck /Somesan
- Oct 28: #TzinahShowcase with Love from Mihai Pol, Primarie, Mera
- New website and domain for #TzinahReleases and #TzinahFamily
- TZHA004 // Arseniu – I Did It Again LP incl. Alpha Bite
- Petit Batou // Interview // Tzinah Podcast // October 2017 //
- Oct 20: TzinahShowcase w. Love from Funk E, Primarie, alter
- TZH090 // VA – Tzinah Under-Grande Session Three
- TZH089 // Riciar Ghir – A Beautiful Mind EP incl. Herck
- Sept 10: Keep On Going Pres. #Tzinah Showcase
- TZH088 // Nici Frida – Mood Inside EP incl. Primarie
- AUG 12: Tzinah Showcase w. Love from Primarie & Octave
- Alex Kravitz // Tzinah Podcast // July 2017 //
- TZH087 // iON – Organic EP incl. Little Hado
- Jul 28: Molotov x Tzinah Showcase // 28, 29, 30 iulie
- TZH086 // VA – Tzinah ‘Under-Grande’ Session Two
- Jun 30: Tzinah Showcase with Love from Primarie, Adrianho, alter.
- TZHA003 // Metaxa Aka S.G – The Sound of Indeepandance LP
- Jun 15: Noon x Tzinah at Cara B – Barcelona
- Miroloja // Interview // Tzinah Podcast // May 2017 //
- Monetic // Interview // Tzinah Podcast // May 2017 //
- TZH085 // VA – Roman Tisme Session One
- Alejandro Vivanco // Tzinah Podcast // May 2017 //
- Nima Gorji // Tzinah Podcast // April 2017 //
- Tzinah T-Shirts & Merchandise at Singlepattern.com